Storia / History

Storia

4

Situato ai piedi del Monte Baldo a 36 km da Verona, Caprino fu molto probabilmente fondato dall’antica popolazione dei Reti ed è a loro che si deve la costruzione dei primi insediamenti sui rilievi circostanti.

Verso la fine del V secolo A.C. la città venne occupata dagli Etruschi e successivamente dai Galli Cenomani.

Nell’89 A.C. divenuta colonia romana, l’antica “Caurin” venne completamente riedificata e valorizzata come capoluogo montebaldino. In breve tempo crebbe d’importanza come centro cruciale per la lavorazione del ferro.

Caduta la potenza romana, la vallata viene invasa da Eruli, Goti, Longobardi e Franchi.

La storia di questo paese è molto complessa ed ogni epoca ha lasciato la sua traccia; fu meta di tiranni, signorie e della fatale peste del 1600.

Agli inizi del quattrocento Caprino entra a far parte delle Repubblica veneta e vi rimarrà per ben quattro secoli sotto il cui dominio il territorio venne diviso e acquistato da nobili famiglie le quali costruirono splendide ville che ancor oggi possiamo ammirare.

Nel 1700, ottenne dalla Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia la concessione di un mercato settimanale.

Nel 1796, con l’arrivo di Napoleone le varie comunità esistenti nel Comune (Caprino, Ceredello, Lubiara e Pesina) vennero unificate facendo diventare Caprino il centro amministrativo e giuridico del territorio. Alla sconfitta di Napoleone succedono gli Austriaci, che, seppur con un regime poliziesco, favoriscono la rinascita economica del paese.

Caprino venne poi toccato dalla prima e Seconda Guerra d’Indipendenza e inoltre dalle due Guerre Mondiali.

Il dopoguerra risente della grave crisi nazionale con un massiccio esodo della popolazione, tuttavia risalgono a questo periodo una serie di opere quali lo spostamento degli uffici comunali a Palazzo Carlotti, l’Ospedale Civile di Caprino, la costruzione del Cinema Teatro Nuovo, la ferrovia viene sostituita dagli autobus, la costruzione della Scuola Media nel 1959, gli edifici scolastici di Pesina e Pazzon, nel 1972 Villa Spada diventa “Casa di Riposo per Anziani e nello stesso anno prende vita la Biblioteca Comunale.

La sua posizione e la sua antica tradizione hanno permesso al paese di diventare una splendida zona residenziale ed un centro turistico da valorizzare.

History

Caprino was built in a beautiful landscape together with a uniquely interesting history. Its rich historical heritage readily fits into periods of time that had their own specific influences on the city. It was most probably founded by the ancient tribe of the Raeti, who built the first permanent villages on top of the surrounding hills.

The city was later occupied by the Etruscans and the Gallic Cenomani.

It became a Roman colony in 89 BC and rapidly rose in importance as the most relevant iron working centre of the area. The ancient “Caurin” was totally rebuilt and turned into the seat of the Baldo mountain.

At the fall of the Roman Empire, the valley was invaded by the Eruli, Goths, Lombards and Franks. It was then ruled by tyrants and signorie. 

Subsequently, Venice took definitive control in the early 1400s, ruling until Napoleon’s arrival in 1796.

During this period the territory was divided and bought by several noble families who built their marvellous villas here.

In the 1600s an outbreak of plague snaked its way across the countryside striking the major villages and cities of the region.

A century later, in 1700, Caprino was granted, by the Serenissima, the concession for an important weekly market, which is still held here today. In the  18th century, when Napoleon’s armies swept through the peninsula, all the various municipalities of the region (Caprino, Ceredello, Lubiara and Pesina) were gathered together and Caprino became the administrative and judicial centre of the territory.

Later on, it was ceded, along with the rest of the region, as a war trophy to Austria and it only managed to rid itself of foreign domination during the unification of Italy in the 1860s.

Last but not least, Caprino was involved in both the first and the second War of Indipendence and also in both WWI and WWII.

At the end of the last conflict, numerous Italians emigrated to the U.S.A. seeking their fortunes and many of them came from this region.

Many public works took place during this period, even though many people had left their homes. The town council offices were moved into Palazzo Carlotti, a new cinema theatre was built and the railway was substituted by coaches. In 1959, construction started on a secondary school here and  further schools in Pesina and Pazzon.

In 1972, Villa Spada became an old people’s rest home and in the very same year the public library was inaugurated.